⇐ Back To DAT Remembrance Site Map ⇑ Home


-- H --

31 July 31, 1946 --- December, 1978

Died in Honolulu, Hawaii
Interred in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific

from findagrave.com

January 6, 1947 - December 9, 2018

Alpha Halsted

Alpha served in the 281st Assault Helicopter Company, the US Army’s first Special Operations Helicopter Company, as a Door Gunner flying on a UH-1 “Huey” helicopter gun ship from 10-66 until 10-67. Alpha was a great soldier and a credit to his unit. His contributions to his fellow crew members insured their safety in a hostile war environment. Alpha was a member of the 281st AHC Association. He shall be remembered by the Intruder family.

His obituary follows:

Alpha at work Alpha Glynn Halsted, 71 of Marshall, Arkansas passed from this life on Sunday, December 9th, 2018 at his home. He was born in Imo, Arkansas on January 6th, 1947 to Lonnie Halsted and Perna Mae Duncan Halsted.

Alpha honorably served in the United States Army during the Vietnam War and was a proven leader. He spent his working years as the owner/operator of Halsted Drywall and Halsted Alpha in the field Farms. He was a man of God with great wisdom, strength, integrity, discipline and honesty. He was a faithful servant who always strived to walk in love. He had a forgiving heart and was a man of charity. Many came to Alpha when they needed wisdom or advice. He knew where his help came from and was an amazing prayer warrior. All who came to him knew he could be counted on to provide the help needed. He was an encourager when the stakes were down and when times became tough. Alpha was a faithful husband, father and grandfather and loved his family deeply. He loved history and was an avid reader of history. He spent countless hours studying his family history and the history of Searcy County.

Survivors include Linda Halsted of the home; daughters, Sandra Ragland (Bradley) of Marshall, Marla Reece (Michael) of Big Flat, Michelle Orange (Hank) of Marshall, Carrie Marshall (Jovey) of Farmington and Amie Brown (Jerry Dale) of Marshall. Funeral services for Alpha were held on December 12. He was laid to rest in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

Michael passed away on October 6, 2004.

Michael served in the 281st; his last known address was Clearwater, Florida.

died after his tour on November 23, 2003

Mike with Mustang

Mike Hargis served in the 281st as a Crew Chief from March 1967 until May 1967.  He was a highly respected member of the Ist Platoon and a friend to all. At the time of his death, Mike was living in Keller, TX with his wife Ann.

Mike in Basic Training   Mike with Ann  Mike in Combat Gear

Mikes Obit

died after his tour on April 15, 1974 (Easter Sunday)

Served as a Crew Chief with the Bandit Platoon from 1969 to 1970.
Hank was traveling to Ft. Bragg, California to visit with Paul Swol when he was killed in a motorcycle accident.
Pall bearers for Hank were Paul Swol, Paul Leonard, Dave Gow and Doug Powel, most wearing tiger stripes.


July 8, 1944  ---  February 5, 2001

Last known residence:  Montgomery County,  MO

October 26, 1939 - February 3, 2016

George Hewlett

The obit from the VHPA Aviator, issue 35-05, September/October, 2016, the publication of the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association:

"Hewlett, George P, USA MAJ (Ret),
Flight Classes: 64-3FW/ 65-1QB.
RVN: 66-67 281 AHC, 67 A/9 AVN 9 INF, 72-73 F/9 CAV 1 CAV,
Callsigns: Mardi Gras / Saber 6
George P. [Phillip] Hewlett passed away February 3, 2016 in The Villages, FL, with his loving wife of 55 years, Barbara, at his side. George was born October 26, 1939 in Philadelphia, PA. He was raised in Frankfort, PA and graduated from Lincoln High School in 1957. Upon graduation, he attended Penn State University for two years before joining the Army. He joined the Army in 1960 and was a paratrooper with the 82nd ABN DIV for two and one-half years before applying for Officer Candidate School. He was accepted to OCS in January 1963 where he graduated and was commissioned in June of 1963 as an Armor Officer. Upon graduation from OCS he went to the Armor Officer Basic Course and then on to Flight school at Fort Wolters TX and Fort Rucker, AL. He attended his Armor Advance Course at Fort Knox in 1969 to 1970. His first assignment out of Flight School was in Germany as a troop commander in the 3rd ID. He then went on to his first tour in Vietnam. From 1967 to 1969 he had various flight assignments at Hunter Army Airfield. From 1970 to 1971 he attended the University of Tampa for his degree completion. In March 1972, he went back to Vietnam on his second tour. George commanded during the Battle of An Loc where the troop first encountered SA-7 heat seeking missiles. The troop lost its first Cobra and crew to an SA-7 in April and had two more Cobras shot down with SA- 7s later that year. During George’s tenure as the troop commander he developed a reputation for never leaving one of his men on the ground. He flew Command and Control on an almost daily basis to ensure his air crews would be rescued if shot down. He had the opportunity to rescue at least a dozen crews during his 12 months of command. Upon his return to CONUS, George rounded out his career with FORSCOM Headquarters at Fort McPherson, GA and Recruiting Command in the Atlanta area. George’s awards during his two tours in Vietnam include the Distinguished Flying Cross with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters, the Bronze Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, and 52 Air Medals, several with V device. He will always be remembered by his troops for his heroic actions to rescue his air crews when they had been shot down by enemy fire. After retirement from the Army in 1980, George became a general manager for Eckert Drug stores for many years and thirteen years with the United States Post Office. He finally retired in 1999 in the Atlanta area and in 2004 moved to The Villages, FL where he and his lovely wife enjoyed golf and many other activities offered there. George is survived by his wife of 55 years, Barbara."

died after his tour on November 30,1994

Don served in the 281st 1967-68; Flight Class: 66-21/66-23.
Don was also the First President of the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association.
He was residing in Tucson, AZ at the time of his death and is survived by his wife Kathy.
Don’s death was the result of a heart attack.

July 26, 1937 - June 8, 2011

Harvey Hiner

Served as a Maintenance Quality Control Technical Inspector (TI) with the 483rd TC from January, 1966 to May of 1967.
73 years of age at the time of his death. Last resided in Kansas City, Missouri.

Updated in June, 2016:
Harvey traveled to Vietnam with the 281st and served as its senior Tech Inspector for the duration of his tour. He was known to be an excellent technician and was respected by all. He shall be remembered by the Intruder family.

His obituary follows:
"Harvey L. Hiner, SFC USA (Ret.) departed from this life and was welcomed to his heavenly home on June 8, 2011 at Kansas City Hospice House. Harvey was born on July 26, 1937 to Harry and Dona Hiner in Lamar Mo. He had two brothers and five sisters. Harvey had four children, and was a family man. Harvey was a military man. He joined the Air Force in 1953 and served 10 years, transferring to the Army where he served 12 years, retiring in 1974. He served in Vietnam and spoke proudly of his service to his country, his officers and the men whom he served with. Harvey leaves his wife Sandra and his four children.”

Harvey Hiner Grave

Born on June 17, 1940. Died after his tour in March, 1993

52 years of age at the time of his death. His SSAN issued in Minnesota.
He was interred in Ladonia Cemetery, Ladonia, Fannin County, Texas.

November 22, 1939 - July 15, 2018

Pappy Holt Pappy Holt
Major, USA (Ret), Aviator
281st Assault Helicopter Company
Dallas Texas

James “Pappy” Holt joined the 281st AHC in April, 1969 and served with the Wolf Pack armed helicopter platoon until April 1970. Before flight school he served with the Special Forces. When “Pappy” joined the 281st, he had served two previous tours in Vietnam and was older and more experienced than most individuals in the unit, thus the nickname "Pappy”. James was a natural leader of men, and his experience in combat was highly valuable to the young men of the 281st. He shall be missed and remembered by the Intruder family. Major Holt’s obituary follows:

James R. Holt went to be with the Lord on July 15, 2018 at the age of 78. He was born on November 22, 1939 to James and Margaret Holt in Dallas, TX. He spent 21 years in the US Army as an Infantry Officer with three tours in Vietnam, and served in the Special Forces most notably with the 281st AHC (Assault Helicopter Company). James received many awards including: the Bronze Star with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster, Air Medal with "V" Device with numeral 20, Vietnam Service Medal with 1 Bronze Service Star and 1 Silver Service Star, Combat Infantryman Badge 1st award, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Ribbon with device, Army Commendation Medal with 1 bronze oak leaf cluster, Good Conduct Medal, Expert Badge with Rifle Bar, Parachutist Badge-Master Army Aviator Badge to name a few. James was a golfer and an avid Rangers fan. He loved football, gardening, and landscape oil painting. He attended the University of Nebraska-Omaha. James is survived by his wife Lilia Holt, son Bryan (Alodia) Abejuela, and daughters Yvette (Kurt) Pirkle and Karla (Jarrett) Edwards.
Visitation will be on Thursday, July 26th, 2018 from 11am-11:30am with a Rosary at 11:30 and Mass of Christian Burial at 12:00PM all at Holy Name Catholic Church, 3814 Nash Blvd, San Antonio, TX. Interment will follow at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery.


"Good evening. We thought we’d let you all know that MAJ James “Pappy” Holt (Wolf Pack 36 4/69-4/70) recently passed away on July 15, 2018 in San Antonio, TX. His service will be on [11 a.m.] July 26, 2018 at Holy Name Catholic Church from 1100-1200. Interment to follow at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery.

"He has spoken very fondly of the 281st AHC in the past and may have attended a couple of reunions a few years back. He died peacefully in his sleep. He is survived by his wife Lilia Holt, son Bryan (Lovely) Abejuela, Yvette (Kurt) Pirkle, and Karla (Jarrett) Edwards. Thank you for your time.

Karla Edwards"


flag folding

I attended Major Holt’s funeral beginning at the Holy Name Catholic Church and ending with the Ft Sam Houston cemetery. We were well received by his family and friends. There were four 281st AHC members and two spouses in attendance (Jeff & Janie Murry, Brian & Marilyn Paine, Marshall Hawkins, and Wayne Sellers).
I took a few pictures ... attached for everyone’s viewing. I know more Intruders would have liked to attend but couldn’t due to various issues, so I hope the pictures will help those of you who served with Major Holt enjoy seeing the photos.
“Hell From Above”
Wayne Sellers

Pappy Holt's family
L-R: Marshall Hawkins, Wayne Sellers, Jeff Murray, Brian Paine


Jeff Murray tells this one:
Bill served two tours as an SF medic before flight school and OCS. When we got to Mai Loc he was still fairly new so I was showing him around the AO..."Here is the crew tent, here is the maintenance tent, here is the beer tent..." you know, important stuff. We walked in the mess tent and Bill and the mess sergeant started hugging. "I guess you two know each other?”; I asked. The response from the mess sergeant: "Hell yeah, on my last tour he was Sergeant Holt, the medic, and he circumcised me!" Then he preceded to show everyone in the mess tent Bill's handiwork. It made for a great lunch.
Bill must have been one helluva medic or those two had to have been really drunk.
Jeff Murray. WP.


July 7, 1951 -- February 11, 2018

Frank Hood

Frank Hood served in the 281st AHC from 6-70 until 12-70 as a member of the Rat Pack. His service came as the unit was closing out it’s Vietnam operations. Frank shall be remembered by the Intruders. His obituary follows:

“Frank Hood, 65, of Stafford passed away on Sunday, February 11, 2018. He is survived by his wife, Linda; his kids, Whitney Hood and Tyler Hood; and his seven grandkids. Frank was born in North Carolina, on July 7, 1951, to Frank Hood Sr. and Kathryn J. Hood. He graduated from Garfield High and went on to go to school to be an electrician at UOSA water plant. He loved his job. He married Linda Evans who also went to Garfield. Frank was diagnosed with cancer in 2011. A memorial service was held at 6:00pm on Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at Mullins and Thompson Funeral Service, Stafford Va.”

Born on November 1, 1941. Died after his tour in November 24, 2011.

"Son of Addy Wallace and John Bunyan Hood, Sr.

Mr. John Bunyan Hood, Jr., age 70 of Smyrna, passed away November 24th. Interment at the Georgia National Cemetery in Canton. Mr. Hood was a retired US Army Captain. He was a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War and earned two Distinguished Flying Crosses. He was an Army Ranger, Entrepreneur and the founding Scout Master at Smyrna First United Methodist Church Troop 11 for 10 years. Carmichael Funeral Home, Smyrna."
- findagrave.com

John B Hood Grave

died after his tour on November 21, 2004

Thomas Hooker 71, died Sunday November 21, 2004, at his residence in Hamer, South Carolina. Born in Hendersonville, NC, August 26, 1933, he was the son of the late Jacob Thomas Hooker and Flora Janie (Hamer) Hooker.  Tom joined the Army in the 1950’s attaining the rank of Sergeant before entering the Commissioned Officer Corps. He retired from the US Army as a Master Aviator with the rank of Major.  His Vietnam tour of duty included the 281st AHC (11/66-5/67) and the 161st AHC in 1967 and in 1969 he served as Operations Officer of the 16th Aviation Group at Chu Lai.  Ton, as he liked to be called, has been a member of the VHCMA since 1998 and has attended all but one reunion.

Survivors include his wife, Susan L. Hooker of Hamer; sons, Jacob Thomas Hooker of Elgin, SC and Robert Elvin Hooker of Charleston; 3 Grandchildren.

May 3, 1947 --- January 31, 1996

Last known address in Lansing, Michigan; SSAN issued in Michigan

December 11, 1947 --- February 2, 1999

Last Residence: 39443 Jones, Laurel, MS.
SSAN issued in Mississippi

October 12, 1948 --- February 21, 2005
Wolf Pack Door Gunner from January to December 1970

  Donald Ray Hoskin, 56, passed away Monday, February 21 2005 at home in Redlands, California. He was a resident of Redlands for 20 years. Born October 12, 1948 in Long Beach. California. He retired from the United States Army.
  Don began his career with 4 tours of duty in Vietnam. He served in FT. Riley, Kansas, Neu Ulm, Germany and Fort Ord, California. Donald lived in Salinas, California for 6 years, followed by assistant area commander for the United States Army Recruiting District of San Bernandino County; from which he retired in Redlands, California. During his Military career Donald was awarded The Purple Heart, The Flying Cross (DFC), the Medal of Valor, Army Commendation Medal, 3 Air Medals, Army Achievement Medal, and the Meritorious Service Medal.
  After retirement he spent 16 years as a dedicated service advisor at Fairview Ford in San Bernandino, California. Donald started at Fairview Ford in September 1988, and was a fleet service manager for 7 of those years.
  He is preceded in death by his father, Cecil Hoskin of Baldwin Park, California. Donald is survived by his loving wife, Christine Hoskin of Redlands; son Bob Hoskin of Redlands; daughter, Tracey & husband Jim Gumke of Apple Valley, CA.; his mother Maxine Hoskin of West Covina; brother Richard Hoskin of Covina; brother, Robbie Hoskin of Lucerne Valley; three adoring grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.
  Burial was held at the Riverside National Cemetery, Riverside, CA. with full Military honors. In lieu of flowers.

April 21, 1951 --- July 15, 1989

SSAN was issued in Nebraska

February 8, 1949 -- December 10, 2012

Paul Hull

Paul Hull passed away at his home in Cantonment, Florida on December 10, 2012. An early member of the association, he served as 281st Wolf Pack Door Gunner from March of 1969 to March of 1970. Before he completed his tour, he served as the assistant Platoon Sergeant and Platoon Sergeant. Paul was known by his fellow Intruders to be an active contributor and leader. The Intruder family shall remember him, Paul’s obituary follows:

Paul Hull “Paul Andrew Hull, 63, of Cantonment passed away December 10, 2012, surrounded by his loving family. He was a Vietnam Veteran, 281st Assault Helicopter Company, Special-Ops. Paul was a loving father, Paw-Paw, and great-grandfather who had a passion for motorcycles and photography until his health took its toll. He was preceded in death by his parents and sister. Paul leaves to cherish his memory: wife, Julia Ann; brother, Tommy; children, Michelle, Nicole, April, and William; grandchildren: Shane, Brianna, Kelsey, Madyson and Bubba; great-grandchildren, Noah and Bentley and many, many friends. A memorial service was held at 2:00 p.m., Friday, December 14, 2012, at Barrancas National Cemetery.”

Paul Hull
l-r: Paul Hull, Walt Stobe, Dave Devere

November 11, 1946 -- August 29, 2017

Corbin joined the 281st in November of 1967 and served until May of 1968 as a Crew Chief with the Wolf Pack. Corbin maintained a life long friendship with his fellow intruders, and shall not be forgotten by them. His Obituary follows:

“Corbin Eugene Humphreys was born November 11, 1946, in Houston Heights, Texas and passed away August 29, 2017, at the age of 71 in Richmond, Texas.
Corbin was a lifetime citizen of Richmond/Rosenberg. He was a decorated veteran that served our country in the 281st Assault Helicopter Company in Vietnam. He was the author of laughter and always lit up the room with his charm and smile. 
He is preceded in death by his Father William Humphreys and his Mother Helen Humphreys.
Corbin is survived by his wife of 38 years Toni Humphreys; his brother Charles ‘Teak’ Humphreys; his sister Rhonda Humphreys; his daughter Jenny Humphreys Vasquez; his son Michael Dahl; and 6 grandchildren.
Per Corbin's request, no services will be held. In place of flowers, he ask that donations be made to the Disabled American Veterans (DAV).”


⇐ Back To DAT Remembrance Site Map ⇑ Home