2018 Reunion After Action Report
Hats off to Lou Lerda
for flawless execution of his OPLAN for the 2018 mini-reunion. With just 26
hours of official reunion from Thursday evening to Friday evening, we had
opportunities for local area activities thru Wednesday and on Saturday. On
Thursday, we had the run of the official museum and viewed the cycloram
presentation. (Your webmaster got lost in the museum; as usual.) On Friday,
we held the board meeting followed by the general membership meeting and
advanced new officers. The ladies had their activities during our official
business. Friday afternoon, we accomplished a nationwide first by conducting
our memorial service at the rostrum in the cemetery where President Lincoln
presented his Gettysburg Address. The evening entertainment included a
catered BBQ (read feast) and a serenade by the group Jerry Rigged.
PAGE STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION !!
Click here for the 2018 Registration Form
I finally have the majority of the 2018 Mini Reunion at Gettysburg finalized.
The following are schedules activities that are programmed for the 26 hours from 6:00 pm, Thursday, 13 September 2018, through 8:00pm, Friday, 14 September 2018:
- 6:00pm until 10:00pm Thursday: Exclusive use of the Battlefield Museum to include the movie, the cyclorama and our time in the museum and exhibits.
- 9:00am until 10:00am Friday: Executive Board Meeting
- 10:00am until 12:00pm Friday: Ladies Brunch and program "All Things Victorian, 1863"
- 10:00am until 12:00pm Friday: General Membership Meeting
- 12:00pm until 2:00pm Friday: Lunch (no specific location, your choice)
- 2:30pm until 3:15pm Friday: Remembrance Ceremony at the Soldiers National Cemetery, Lincoln Address Area
- 4:45pm until 7:45pm Friday: Barbeque and entertainment at the Gettysburg Area Recreational Park
The rest of the time is open for you to discover the Gettysburg Area. As a suggestion look at the following options:
- I can arrange for three special Battlefield tours with a qualified tour guide in air-conditioned busses for $22.00 per
person if 40 of you are willing to go at the same time. Individual tours will cost you $32.00. There are three two
hour tours available, each covers a day's battle. Please let me know if you are interested ASAP.
- I can arrange tours of the special museum at the Gettysburg Seminary that is dedicated to the civilian problems and also allows you to go to the copula where General Buford monitored the initial Confederate advance into Gettysburg.
- There are tours available at the Eisenhower Farm.
- For those interested, we can schedule a trip to The Army Historical Center in Carlisle to for those of you who don't wish
to immerse yourselves in the G-burg thing.
- Saturday there will be a World War II reenactment of the capture and repatriation of a town in the Netherlands. This takes place about 10 miles away and starts at 8:00am and is about three hours in duration.
- Public transportation is available and very reasonable. (will come to the motel)
- Multiple shops and restaurants are within easy distance of the Motel and the Tourist bureau will provide coupons for discounts.
- I will have additional information available within the next two weeks for local attractions.
Please advise us as to where you will be arriving (if you fly or come by train) in order to determine transportation options.
If you are traveling by RV, please advise and we will provide local input as to location.
More data to follow, this will get your planning started. DO NOT BUY TICKETS FOR THE MUSEUM, they are included in your fee and you will have a private showing Thursday evening.
Boots on The Ground
The 281st Assault Helicopter Company Association announces its 2018
Mini-Reunion will be in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania from September 11 to September 16, 2018:
You said keep it simple and this is about as simple as it gets. We are booked for September 11th through
the 16th of September 2018 for our mini reunion in Gettysburg, PA at the Comfort Inn & Suites.
As long as we fill a minimum of 21 rooms, the PX and hospitality suite are ours free. Each room is allowed
four free breakfasts per day and public transportation will be free if we go to one of the designated destinations
that will be outlined for us, otherwise it will cost One USD for the trip. I am working with the park service for our
memorial service and other caterers for our pig roast.
I will post more as details become available. The hospitality room can function as we always have with
wine, beer and liquor, also the sandwich fixins because the hotel has no bar or restaurant. We will not be
in violation of any LCB rules or hotel restrictions. Cost for the rooms will be $131.47 per night, including all taxes and fees. THIS IS THE BEST
AVAILABLE PRICE for the time period.
I am working with RV parking areas for those of you who wish to use your own lodging and I am reviewing all available
activities for the lady's brunch. Do not judge the facility by the number of stars. They are rated low because of no bar
or restaurant facilities. They have hosted 16 military reunions in the past 3 years and NO complaints or negative
comments. It is in a good location and there are no parking fees. Note the dates and look for more information to follow
as I am setting a deadline of 1 March for everything to be in place for you.
The phone number for the Comfort Inn is
and our group is the
"281st Assault Helicopter Company (11 to 16 September 2018)"
Executive Board, Senior Member at Large
Reunion Committee Boots on the Ground